- Piano’s subscription platform helped the Daily Memphian go from 0 to thousands of paid subscribers in 3.5 weeks, making it one of the most successful launches of a paid-only local media offering.
- Dedicated to providing 650,000+ Memphians with intelligent local journalism, The Daily Memphian sought to boost their loyal subscriber base.
- Recognizing Piano as a solution to personalize digital experiences with speed and scalability, they quickly integrated Piano into their CMS to gain valuable insight into existing readers and subscribers.
Dedicated to providing 650,000+ Memphians with intelligent local journalism, The Daily Memphian built a subscription-only publication, and they wanted to acquire 4,500 subscribers in the first 12 months to satisfy investors. From the outset, the publication was branded as a premium entity, featuring content dedicated to their locality, and it began with a $7.00/month price point to monetize users.
The Daily Memphian knew it needed to boost its subscriber base to satisfy investors, but had limited resources and a very narrow understanding of how their audiences responded to content. This made it difficult to envision how they would achieve their growth targets.
Piano’s end-to-end solution enabled the Daily Memphian to launch their offering with both speed and scalability. Piano seamlessly integrated with their custom CMS platform, enabling the publishing team to gain valuable insight into user behavior. Piano’s customer journey design solution allowed the writing team to use behavioral data to shape how they changed what appeared onsite. The data directed their editorial strategy and helped them test, deploy and manage content to enhance the overall audience experience.
The Daily Memphian achieved their 4,500 subscriber goal in just over three weeks instead of 12 months. In addition, they:
- Increased their subscriber base to 7,000 over the next few months
- Then boosted it to 25,000 subscribers after two years
- Raised their price point from $7.00/month up to $10.00/month